Right To Buy
Right to Buy allows most council tenants to buy their council home at a discount.
There are different rules for Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
You can apply to buy your council home if:
• it’s your only or main home
• it’s self-contained
• you’re a secure tenant
• you’ve had a public sector landlord (eg a council, housing association or NHS trust) for 3 years - it doesn’t have to be 3 years in a row
You can make a joint application with:
• someone who shares your tenancy
• up to 3 family members who’ve lived with you for the past 12 months (even if they don’t share your tenancy)
If your home used to be owned by the council, but they sold it to another landlord (like a housing association) while you were living in it, you may have the Right to Buy. This is called ‘Preserved Right to Buy’. Ask your landlord if this applies to you.
If you weren’t living in your home when it was sold by the council you may still be able to buy it through the Voluntary Right to buy pilot if both the following are true:
• you live in a housing association property in one of the scheme’s local authority areas
• you’ve been a public sector tenant (usually of a housing association or council) for a total of at least 10 years
By trusting your Right to Buy to PDR Property Lawyers, you’ll get:
Fees from £399 plus VAT and Disbursements
No Sale – No Fee
Should your transaction no proceed to completion, we will not charge you for our time spent working on the file.
Fixed Fee Guarantee
We will quote you a fixed fee, with no hidden extras! Some conveyancing firms hide extra fees in their T&C’s At PDR Property Lawyers we believe in transparency.
Please do call for a free no obligation or for an instant quote click here
No Legal Jargon
Our team of knowledgeable staff are on hand to answer any queries you may have in a clear and understandable manner
Unlike Solicitors we specialise in conveyancing, which enables us to give you the care and attention needed when dealing with the inevitable stress of a home move
National Coverage – No Attendance Necessary
There is no need for time consuming meetings as your transaction can be dealt with by post, email and telephone.